The Associate Director of Web Content + Strategy is a key position in the Communications Office at Virginia Commonwealth University School of the Arts (VCUarts) that will increase awareness of the school through excellence in an innovative and effective web presence. This position will work collaboratively with the school’s administrative offices and departments for content creation, web development, and digital presence. This position is responsible for: the content development, web design and programming for all VCUarts administrative and departmental websites; ensuring compliance with current and future web accessibility and design standards; and the design, structure, creation and implementation of web content and web-related initiatives, in conjunction with the communications team and their internal clients.
The position requires a high degree of creativity, strong verbal and written communication, and advanced technical skills. The successful candidate must be an independent, self-motivated collaborator with a strategic and analytical approach to innovative and established web platforms, problem-solving, and excellence in client communications.
• Using WordPress as the primary content management system, responsible for the overall web experience: overseeing the architecture, strategy and standards, and managing content for all websites and web-based initiatives.
• Works in close collaboration with the Director of Communications on global web strategy for the school.
• Responsible for maintaining, expanding, and scaling the website.
• Regularly edits and reviews web content to ensure that it is current and correct.
• Responsible for following the best contemporary web security standards and awareness of the latest development techniques, modern web standards, and best practices.
• Documents and enforces web publishing standards.
• Implements Search Engine Optimization and meta tag best practices.
• Provides daily maintenance of websites.
• Ensures continuity with VCUarts brand and messaging standards, as well as compliance with university policies and procedures and interprets these policies for administrative offices and departments.
• Adheres to standard guidelines for accessible web postings, ensuring compliance with regulations regarding access for people with disabilities.
• Facilitates communication among web users / maintainers (located in administrative offices and departments) and those responsible for overall web architecture, hardware, software, design and standards.
• Identifies school-wide training and support needs and coordinates the provision of those services.
• Translates departments and administrative web needs into innovative solutions.
• Supports administrative and department content providers in submitting high-quality content.
• Analyzes and defines requirements to meet production deadlines, develops plans and procedures, and manages and implements enhanced web services; communicates scope of work and timeline clearly with clients, designers and programmers.
• Assists with web-based informational materials, as well as services that support marketing, communications, and development activities as needed; coordinates the day-to-day publishing of information.
• Evaluates effectiveness, usability and accessibility of websites, including troubleshooting for coding, design, cross-browser, social media, and search engine related issues.
• Liaises with both the school and the university’s IT departments to address and resolve technical problems as they occur, and to discuss new directions and technology.
• Oversees the evaluation and implementation of new web technology.
• Supervises and mentors the web design/web development staff (full- and part-time staff, and student interns) to share knowledge and experience.
• Develops and maintains professional relationships that reflect courtesy, civility, and mutual respect.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate must be an independent, self-motivated collaborator, with a strategic and analytical approach to innovative and established web platforms, problem solving, and excellence in client communications.
• Minimum 5 years of experience managing large-scale web properties.
• Experience creating, writing, and editing content for the web.
• Broad knowledge of web design, programming, web content development, digital publishing, email and web-based communications best practices, technologies and tools; knowledge of display and integration of multimedia content.
• Experience designing web sites to meet institutional requirements and federal accessibility standards and cross-browser compatibility.
• Experience with dynamic, database-driven website construction and best practices.
• Strong understanding of current trends and knowledge in the profession.
• Experience working within content management systems such as WordPress, Drupal, Expression Engine, etc. and database-driven website construction and best practices
• Knowledge of the major professional graphic and web design software including Adobe products.
• Experience with web design and development for mobile application.
• Experience with cross-platform, cross-browser testing and troubleshooting.
• Experience in design/HTML coding and best practices specifically for bulk email delivery.
• Excellent interpersonal and teaming skills and the ability to effectively and positively interact with a diverse range of people and experience in or potential to work in a culturally diverse work environment.
• A high degree of creativity, strong verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to explain complex information to non-technical audiences.
• Ability to work strategically with clients at all levels of the organization to identify and meet organizational goals and deadlines.
• Ability to prioritize work and handle multiple projects simultaneously; demonstrated ability to solve problems independently and use available resources.
• Ability to guide the ongoing evolution of vision and priorities for the school as it relates to digital communications.
• Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems, Digital Design, or related field with coursework in web programming.
• Progressive years of working in professional communications or design office and/or experience working in a university environment.
• Editing knowledge and experience; understanding of editorial style guides and the application of consistent editorial standards.
• Experience developing web-based database applications.
• Experience converting large-scale print publications to web applications.
• Experience developing custom plugins and add-ons for open source frameworks and content management systems.
• Experience with Flash / Actionscript v2 and 3.
This button will take you to WP Hired where you finish your application