Modern Tribe, is looking for a Backend Developer with solid PHP and WordPress experience to join our agency team. Are you a dependable and competent developer with strong communication skills? Are you a quick learner that likes to solve complex problems using WordPress and OOP techniques? We want to meet you!
The Backend developer gig at Modern Tribe will offer you the opportunity to become a core member within our tribe. You will be collaborating with an awesome dev team working on innovative and large scale WordPress installations. We are looking for a backend developer that is already actively working in the WordPress website and plugin development field. You need to be up to speed and knowledgeable about the most recent releases and standards of WordPress. We want you to be as excited and as passionate as we are about what we are creating with the platform.
Experienced WordPress developers only!
Modern Tribe is committed to a culture that embraces diversity and inclusion. We foster an environment of collaboration, open engagement, fairness and respect regardless of differences in age, race, disability, national origin, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation or veteran status. As a hybrid workspace ranging from distributed contractors to traditional employees, we value the unique perspectives and experiences of our global team.
We come from all walks of life. We are small business owners. We are tattoo aficionados and 80’s movie buffs and ex-pats. We are homeschool teachers. We are single parents. We are musicians, college drop-outs, and entrepreneurs. We are travelers, feminists, runners, volunteers, and makers. We are a Modern Tribe.
Everyday we strive to fulfill our motto: live well and do good work. We hope you will consider joining us.
As a WordPress Backend Developer at Modern Tribe, some of your key responsibilities will be:
- Collaborate with the project strategist and senior backend developers to articulate the best technological solution for the problem at hand
- Analyze user story acceptance criteria to ensure the technical feasibility and point out potential issues
- Work with a team of developers to deliver on time, on budget and on scope
- Co-Architect and develop broadly compatible new products, features, and bug fixes with consideration for accessibility, performance, and multilingual installations
- Write high quality code with readability, efficiency and maintainability in mind
- Develop and maintain complex WordPress-based applications
- Implement complex features using modern PHP code and patterns while following standards
- Code review the work of other developers
- Improve our internal tools, libraries and standards
- Actively participate in our scrum meetings
- Work with the team to diagnose and resolve backend bugs and support requests
- Strong communication skills
- Experience working as part of a remote team
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented
- Strong organizational skills
- A methodical approach to all tasks
- Ability to prioritize workloads and meet deadlines
- Ability to work on multiple projects at the same time and complete tasks in a timely manner
- Ability to work remotely with little-to-no supervision is a must
- Excited to be part of a team with the potential for a long term relationship
- Fluent English speaker
Knowledge & Experience
- 1-3 years experience working as a backend web developer on production sites
- 2+ years experience working on WordPress sites
- Experience implementing complex WordPress sites
- Familiar with modern PHP (for example: OOP, PHP 5.5 or greater, Composer, Laravel, or Symfony)
- Experience writing code with a focus on security and performance
- Demonstrated experience developing on the WordPress platform (for example, one or more of: Solid experience with WordPress methods and development patterns, handling data securely within WordPress, plugin development, or leveraging the REST API)
- Solid experience with OOP
- Thorough understanding of the software development life cycle (i.e. seeing a project through from spec to completion)
- Experience with continuous integration and automated deployment pipelines
- Experience working with at least one automated testing framework
- Experience with WPML
- Experience with server technologies like Redis or ElasticSearch
Work from anywhere in North, Central or South America. If your timezone is outside of US business hours but you work at least 4+ hours of overlap each day, let’s chat. You must be fluent in English. You just need a computer and a strong wifi signal to support daily video chats with the Tribe.
Pay range for this role is between $35-$60 USD per hour commensurate with qualifications and experience. This is a freelance contract role 20-25 hours per week. We are always seeking longer relationships with exceptional people.
We believe that distributed working is a way of life. We understand what it means to work remotely. We offer consistency in expectations, payment, and support. We believe in learning from each other and fostering personal growth. You can expect to learn a lot while working with us.
(Also, if you work enough with us, we’ll bring you on the team trips.)
This button will take you to WP Hired where you finish your application