Serves as Database Administrator II showing seasoned technical skills with MS SQL Server. This position assists the Database Administrator III as needed and provides some direction to the Database Administrator I. The Database Administrator II is responsible for installation, configuration, maintenance of all MS SQL servers. This is a mid-level position, requiring some oversight and orientated direction by others but with autonomy to perform process analysis and provide recommendations. This is a non-supervisory position.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITES:
· Install, configure and maintain the operation of a group of MS SQL Servers (2012 – 2016) to ensure performance and availability.
· Function as team member with other IT employees and numerous functional team leaders from throughout the University.
· Responsible for the following: database definitions; backups; disaster recovery planning (jointly with the Systems Administrator and/or Infrastructure Management); security planning; account set up and access rights.
· Design logical and physical database or review description of changes to database design to understand how changes to be made affect physical database (how data is stored in terms of physical characteristics such as location, amount of space, and access method).
· Establish physical database parameters.
· Code database descriptions and specific identifiers of database to database management system or directs others in coding database descriptions.
· Calculate optimum values for database parameters such as amount of computer memory to be used by database and storage I/O configurations.
· Specify which users can access databases and what data can be accessed by user in each environment.
· Test, correct errors, and refine changes to the database.
· Use of utility programs to monitor database performance including query execution plans, query execution times, indexing, and resource usage.
· Confer with co-workers to determine impact of database changes on other systems and staff cost for making changes to database.
· Work directly with consultants and technicians from vendor companies.
· Other Duties as assigned
EDUCATION/ WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS AND DESIRED SKILLS:
· Relevant (i.e. Computer Science) Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university required.
· Requires a minimum of three years’ experience in installation, configuration and maintenance with SQL Server (2008R2 or newer)
· Experience in setting up and maintaining MS SQL Server Clusters desired.
· Experience with PowerShell for automating management tasks desired.
· Experience with reporting tools such as Microsoft SSRS desired.
· Experience with ETL tools such as Microsoft SSIS desired.
· Able to effectively communicate orally (in person and by telephone) and in writing.
· Able to multi-task, yet maintain close attention to detail and timeliness of work production.
· Able to work in a positive team-oriented manner with a variety of people (students, faculty, staff, administrators, vendors, and members of the general public).
· Integrity – operates within the highest ethical standards and integrity in all aspects of the position
· Motivated/Results Oriented – fantastic record of personal drive and the determination to succeed
· Mission Oriented – passionate about helping others; ownership spirit with a competitive disciplined execution for results
· Listening Skills – must be an active listener to insure client needs are fully understood and met
· Influence – skilled at directing and motivating others towards personal, academic and professional success
This button will take you to WP Hired where you finish your application