Hi, we’re GMB, and we teach people how to use their bodies better.
The word “fitness” has been perverted to mean doing things you hate to impress people you don’t like with a body that’s too tired and sore to do anything fun. We’re here to change that, and we need your help.
We started out in 2010 with an email subscription form, a YouTube account, and a lot of scrambling to figure things out. Even with over 40,000 clients in 80 countries, pretty much everything about how we’ve built our company and marketed our products has been bootstrapped by a small group of deeply invested people wearing a lot of hats and learning as we went along. Even with a team of over twenty people, that’s our DNA – learning and making it work.
This year, we’re making big changes to our product and we are looking for a Front-End WP Developer to join GMB, part-time to start. You’ll be part of a team that is helping to imagine and build new products — as well as improve existing ones.
What will be your responsibilities?
- Working directly with our graphic designer to bring new design to code
- Update and improve existing front-end code
- Potential to work on the next version of our app and be involved in styleguide and UI library creation
To do this job, you will need:
- Experience bringing WordPress themes to code (HTML/CSS/JS)
- Some sense or experience in UX design
- Familiarity with modern front-end tools (Gulp, Sass, etc.)
- Experience using git and GitHub workflows
- Familiarity with CSS methodology (SMACSS, BEM, etc.)
- Bonus points for some back-end and API familiarity especially with regard to WordPress
Other Requirements & Competencies
- You’ve been following GMB for a while and understand what sets us apart from other fitness companies.
- You are clear on the value you’ll bring to the team.
- You know how to follow instructions and how to be creative – and how to choose between them.
- You speak and read/write perfect English.
- You have a sense of humor.
- You always work to develop a growth mindset.
- You are good at self-managing.
- You have a strong DIY ethic – know what you don’t know and what you can do about it.
- You can make things happen. You are a doer/maker as well as a planner.
- You can manage written communication with a lot of different people.
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience, but you can get a pretty good sense of our benefits and such here.
What’s it like working at GMB?
GMB is a kick-ass company.
GMB is about creating autonomy. We’re working to make the world a better place by teaching people to take control of what their bodies can do so they can contribute to their families and communities. We create options for exploration and self-expression.
And we work the way we practice. Like our idea of fitness and the way we deliver our programs, very little about the way we work is like what you’d find in a traditional company. Here’s how we exemplify autonomy at work:
- Work and Live Anywhere
- Set Your Own Schedule.
- Create Your Own Role.
We also take care of our people. Building a great team with full autonomy requires more than just freedom; we thrive in an environment that supports development and growth… and we bet you will too. Some of the things we value and encourage are: continuous learning, travel & facetime, as well as time off. Learn more about all our benefits here.
If you like what you’ve read so far, familiarize yourself with who we are and what we’re about before going any further. You should also listen to this interview with Andy about how we grew GMB and what’s important to us.
Want to learn more about the smart, fun people you’ll be working with? Check out our team.
How To Apply
If you’re thinking, “I know how to use an APP; I’d be great at this,” you’re probably wrong. Please read everything above carefully and make sure you understand that there are some fairly complex and technical requirements.
If that all sounds like stuff you can handle, we’d love to hear from you. Please fill in the form at the bottom of THIS PAGE and make a case for why you’ll be a great fit for the team.
This button will take you to WP Hired where you finish your application