Vanderbilt University is seeking an experienced PHP/MySQL Web Developer to provide programming and Web development support for University Web Communications, which is the central Web development office for Vanderbilt University (http://web.vanderbilt.edu.)
The Web Developer II will have problem-solving abilities, a strong work ethic and will be responsible for owning the code base, managing the release process and maintaining and enforcing high coding standards.
This position will be responsible for developing web-based database applications, building and maintaining public facing websites, responding to help desk inquiries and will be responsible for the migration of pre-existing websites into University centrally-supported systems (WordPress and Omni Update).
The ideal candidate will be comfortable managing 10-20 open projects at various stages, enjoy working with clients and possess a strong desire to learn new skills and tackle new challenges.
Minimum Requirements: This position requires an associate’s degree and a minimum of 48 months relevant experience.
- Thorough understanding of PHP
- Proficient with relational databases (we primarily work with MySQL)
- Experience with entire software development lifecycle
- Experience using Bootstrap or another CSS frameworks
- Experience integrating with external APIs/Web services
- Proven experience developing clean, attractive user interfaces
- Familiarity with Linux, Apache server environments
- Clear understanding and knowledge of Web development best practices, standards, accessibility, information architecture, securing and protecting data
- Familiarity with content management systems. Experience coding within WordPress, OmniUpdate a plus.
- Ability to handle 10-20 projects (at varying stages) while also taking on new projects and handling emergencies that may arise. Should enjoy this type of environment – there will always be multiple projects with simultaneous deadlines.
- Ability to work within short-turnaround deadlines
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to communicate effectively with internal and external customers
- Proficient in maintenance of WordPress core
- WordPress theme and/or plugin development
- Experience with large WordPress multi-sites (e.g. 2K sites/6K users)
- Experience with Amazon Web Services
- Experience with mySQL server
- Proficient in web and graphic design
- GIT source control
- Experience working a help desk
Preferred Education: Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- This is a full-time position. Candidate must possess a willingness to work additional hours on evenings and weekends when required.
- Experience may be substituted for education: basic qualification requirement on a 2:1 basis (2 years of experience for each year of education required, but not attained).
- Background screens will be performed and education will be verified prior to employment. Please be prepared to provide required information and/or documentation.
- Vanderbilt is a smoke-free workplace in compliance with the Non-Smoker Protection Act, Tennessee Code Annotated 39-17-1801-1810. In accordance with that law and Vanderbilt policy, smoking is prohibited in all enclosed areas on Vanderbilt property.
This button will take you to Github Jobs where you finish your application