Constructive (https://constructive.co), a leading brand experience design & digital design agency that works exclusively with social impact organizations is looking for an outstanding technical expert and creative thinker to take over for our current Technology Team Lead, who will sadly be transitioning out of the role at the end of 2018 to live abroad.
If you’re an experienced technologist who wants to work on websites and products that are at the front of the field, knows how to architect and build complex websites, thrives on being a consultative, collaborative problem solver, and believes that the best digital experiences happen when strategy, technology, and design work together, then we’d love to hear from you. If you care deeply about issues like climate change, social justice, and economic equality—and want the work you do to make a meaningful positive impact on them—then we think you’ll love working with us and our clients.
A bit about the role
Our Technology Team Lead needs a holistic understanding of modern web development techniques and infrastructure. They need experience building strong and scalable websites. They must thrive on being hands-on with development projects. They’ll need a leadership mindset, and must be capable of working on multi-disciplinary teams to communicate complex technological choices to non-developers.
That’s all fancy job-posting language for: you really know your stuff and don’t have a big ego, you take responsibility for the quality of our work and the growth of your team, you still like to get your hands dirty with code, and you’re an effective collaborator—especially with people who don’t understand technology as well as you do.
A bit about us
We’re a diverse, close-knit bunch who are serious about having fun producing exceptional work. We play to win—for our clients, for ourselves, and for the world. We’ve got each other’s backs. We’ve got high expectations and we’ve got the work ethic to match them. We’re all together in the same open office, so there’s music and joking mixed-in with being heads-down on work.
A bit about diversity
We believe strongly that diversity is one of our greatest strengths—that the more perspectives we bring to the mix, the better we are as people and the better partner we are for our clients. So, in considering if Constructive is a good fit for you, know that all we care about is that you’re qualified to do the job, share most or all of our values, and want to be here. These are the things we’ll be evaluating for every applicant—and if you meet those and add to our diversity, all the better.
What we need you to do extremely well
This role combines technology team leadership and hands-on development, emphasizing one or the other at any given time. We’ll need you to have strong demonstrated success having done all or most of these things for at least 3-5 years—and a passion for doing them well.
- Provide strong technical leadership—both for our internal team of developers, strategists, and designers; and for our clients and occasional external dev partners. Manage and mentor junior developers—two in-house developers, one ongoing external partner, and any additional developers when project load requires it.
- Guide development team and our company on planning, prioritizing, mitigating risks, and balancing technical debt to meet project milestones so that we deliver exceptional work that meets expectations.
- Work with stakeholders to define strategic goals and the context in which they need to be met, gather requirements, and produce technical documentation that makes it very clear how technology will help achieve them.
- Develop requirements, specifications, and architecture to document what we’re building and what’s been built.
- Lead development of ambitious digital products, serving as the point person for both the end-to-end process and the outcomes we deliver, aligning our work with Constructive’s broader strategic position as a leading brand experience design firm.
- Be a hands-on developer who takes on specific aspects of complex jobs or plays a lead developer role on a project when needed.
- Review code and provide feedback on work done by other developers; oversee the UAT and QA processes in coordination with project managers.
- Improve best practices, recommend tools, and build frameworks that make our work more efficient, effective, and technically front-of field.
- Be the face of Constructive’s technical expertise throughout client engagements, in the development community, and when needed in our sales cycle.
- Contribute to developing proposals and estimates for technical projects, particularly those with complex requirements.
- Lead vetting and hiring of web developers and external development partners.
- Be a team player who knows how to lead, has a bias towards listening, takes serious pride in their work, and is always looking for our process and results to be better the next time out.
- It definitely helps if you also have a good sense of humor
Expertise that’s important in our work
Right now, these are the specific technologies and tasks that are essential to our work. We’ll need you to have about 5 years of experience in most of these things, and we’re very open to new ideas on which specific technologies and tools can improve on what we have.
- Expert WordPress & Drupal development (Minimum 5 years of experience)
- Expert front-end development experience
- Strong experience with Webpack / Gulp / SCSS
- Strong experience doing large-scale content migrations
- Strong experience doing third-party integrations (Solr, Salesforce, Mailchimp, Fluxx)
- Experience with Data Visualization (D3, Highcharts)
- Experience with Infrastructure, System Administration & DevOps
- Experience with ES6, Node, React
What’s in it for you?
Work/Life balance matters at Constructive, and we do our best to make sure everyone is well-taken care of with a great mix of salary, benefits and perks, opportunities for professional growth, and a healthy dose of time off. We also always reward individual initiative and outsized contributions to our collective success. Added to your base salary, here’s what we have on tap for 2018-2019 to add:
Benefits & Perks
- Company-Sponsored Health, Dental & Vision Insurance
- 401K plan with 4% company match
- Annual profit sharing bonus (Approx 10% of company profit distributed equally)
- Discretionary performance-based bonuses
- 2 weeks paid vacation (+1 additional day per year)
- Paid vacation between Christmas & New Year’s
- 1/2-day Summer Fridays (Approx 16)
- 1 week paid personal/sick days
- Unlimited work-from-home days (within reason!) after 6 months
- Monthly & Annual employee-voted "shout-out" gift card awards
- TransitChek (pay for transit w/ pre-tax $)
- Discounted Company Cell Phone Plan
- $1K annual professional development stipend
- New client bonus (2.5% of largest contract in year 1 for any non-inbound client)
- Company lunch every Wednesday
- Weekly Happy Hr (every non-summer Friday)
- Coffee, healthy snacks, soda
- Bi-monthly Company Events (sporting events, bowling, holiday party, etc)
- The feeling of satisfaction knowing that your work is helping make the world a better place
This button will take you to Github Jobs where you finish your application