Web Developer (Public Affairs) – 83504
Organization: PA-Public Affairs
Berkeley Lab (LBNL, http://www.lbl.gov/) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
Berkeley Lab’s Public Affairs Division (http://www.lbl.gov/public-affairs-department/) has an opening for a Web Developer to develop and maintain a sustainable web publishing system, based on WordPress, to serve Public Affairs and various groups and affiliates within LBNL. Working under broad supervision, this position will also create and maintain custom static and dynamic websites, single page applications and data visualizations for divisions within Berkeley Lab.
• Create complex WordPress websites and plugins.
• Create and maintain static and dynamic lab websites hosted internally and externally.
• Work with other web developers at Berkeley Lab to improve the Lab’s ability to build and leverage websites to engage with important internal and external audiences.
• Assist in the migration of existing legacy websites to WordPress.
• Maintain, test and update our website hosting ecosystem.
• Build single page applications and data visualizations.
• Establish sustainable best practices for setting up and maintaining WordPress websites at the Lab, including:
– Software development and deployment for WordPress templates and plugins needed for the lab.
– End-user / content owner support for creating and maintaining websites
– Develop and improve frontend and backend security and integrity.
• Work with the web team to estimate project costs and timelines
• Coordinate with external contractors to create and deploy sites at the lab.
• Provide training to content owners and developers to help individual groups become self-sufficient at maintaining their own websites once they are launched. Training may include content creation and site maintenance and WordPress theme and plugin development.
• Research, build and implement new features of the publishing platform.
• Stay informed of new technologies that may be integrated into the publishing platform.
• Provide tools and techniques for sharing data between the web publishing platform and other data stores, such as for publications, and scientific data.
• Implement templates that meet Berkeley Lab branding standards.
• Provide templates for other application developers.
• Create a repository of tools, such as templates, software, graphical assets, that can be used Lab-wide.
• Bachelor’s level degree in a related field of study and a minimum of 5 years of applicable experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• A minimum of 2 years of experience building WordPress themes, templates, and plugins.
• Ability to work with Unix/Linux/BSD-based web servers, including Apache, and command-line interfaces such as SSH, VI, rsync and Git.
• Understanding of SQL and database schema design.
• Knowledge of user interface design and implementation.
• Ability to create software solutions for specialized functions and to adapt current technologies for Lab purposes.
• Ability to solve tough technical issues and maintain good technical overview of distributed applications along with the ability to evaluate new technologies for incorporation into the production process.
• Solid understanding and experience of information architecture, user-centered design, and usability testing.
• Experience building multiple websites of various sizes and complexity.
• Working knowledge of, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator or similar applications.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills with interpersonal skills.
• Proven ability to work individually on a project or in a team environment.
• Demonstrated ability to manage details, efficient work habits, and overall flexibility.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
• Familiarity with the following is a plus: Node.js, NoSQL databases, Python/Django, Ruby/Rails, D3, Backbone.js.
Required Application Material:
We are requiring applicants provide a work sample as part of the application for this position. Please note, applications received without the requested material will not be considered.
• Please attach examples of custom code that you have written for websites (i.e. links to github/bitbucket repositories, .zip of files, etc).
• Please note, this position places importance on custom WordPress plugin/theme development.
• We allow a maximum of 10 attachments. Each file should be less than 3MB.
The posting shall remain open until the position is filled, however for full consideration, please apply by April 28, 2017.
• This is a full time 1 year term appointment with the possibility of extension or conversion to Career appointment based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs.
• Full-time, M-F, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
• Salary is commensurate with experience.
• This position is contingent on the successful completion of a background check.
• Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://22.214.171.124/counter.php?id=97340 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4 (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/EO13665_PrescribedNondiscriminationPostingLanguage_JRFQA508c.pdf). Click here (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf) to view the poster: “Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law”.
This button will take you to WP Hired where you finish your application